The language offered to Prep – 6 students is French. As part of the French program students are involved in language and cultural activities, incursions and excursions.
At Pinewood Primary School, all of the students from Prep to Year 6 participate in weekly French lessons and learn the fundamentals of the language and culture. We use an interactive lesson style in order to maximise the students’ engagement and participation in French listening, speaking, reading and writing activities. The overall objective of the French program at Pinewood Primary School is to help equip our students with the necessary attitudes and skills to become effective language learners both in their first language and in additional languages.
Why study French?
- Research shows that for English speakers, French is one of the easiest languages to learn.
- French is taught in many of the surrounding high schools.
- English and French have the same alphabet and a similar sentence structure.
- More than 20 000 English words have their origins in French. Likewise, many English words found their way into the French language. In fact, English speakers already know about 55 percent of French words.
- French is spoken as the official language, second or priority language in forty-nine countries.
- It is both a working and official tongue of the United Nations, European Union, NATO, UNESCO, the International Olympic Committee and a number of international courts.
- It is the most widely taught second language around the world, with an estimated 120 million students around the world studying it every year.